Monday, July 9, 2012

"I love gooooooold" ~ Granting Golden Wishes




So I've been a major slacker in the blogging department, but I really haven't been THAT bad with checking items off of the Lys List.  So let me get my blog on!

April 18th 2012 was the day I granted my first Golden Wish.  Let me first explain what this is, as you're probably thinking I've been involved in something at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.  Golden Wishes is a program through Lifespan.  The goal of Lifespan’s Golden Wishes Program is to grant very simple wishes for
older adults in a long term nursing home setting that can't otherwise do so on these things on their own.  Our wish recipients reside at The Highlands at Brighton.  Three individuals requested to see a show at Geva, and the fourth simply wanted to have lunch at Red Lobster.  Through myself and three other volunteers we were able to honor this wish.  I contacted Geva and got tickets donated by the box office for their show "Superior Donuts".  Another volunteer was able to have Red Lobster donate lunch for the four wish recipients.  The Highlands at Brighton was kind enough to donate their bus for transportation for the afternoon.

We all met at Red Lobster, chatted and had lunch, and went on our way to Geva.  One resident even had a glass of wine, which made her day.  A woman after my own heart!

Superior Donuts was a great show, we all enjoyed ourselves.  The residents enjoyed being out and about in Rochester as they used to be able to do unaccompanied.  I found joy in providing the ability for these folks to do so, at no cost or inconvenience to them or their families.  I'm excited to see what other wishes I'll be granting!

No comments:

Post a Comment