Monday, July 16, 2012

Touring and Curing Like a Mo-Fo

Kristen, Me, Lani

Molly and Me 
(We trained for our half marathon together)

Team Mud Mohawks before the race

BFFs

While training for my first half marathon, my friend Janel had mentioned the Tour de Cure and how she rides it to raise money for diabetes, which runs in her family.  I didn't know much about it, and thankfully diabetes has yet to affect anyone in my family, but I said "sure, why not ride in it".  She told Kristen and me about the struggles her team faced last year, including flat tires and poor weather, and the need to train for the ride.  Kristen and I hopped on our bikes and went for a 16 mile cruise.  We thought 16 miles was cake, so 40 would be no big deal, so we sort of "slacked" on the training. And by slacked, I mean that 16 mile ride we took was the ONLY form of bike race training we did.



Our team, Team Mud Mohawks, held a fundraiser Memorial Day weekend at Sully's Pub which was a huge success on multiple accounts. We raised money, we had a good time, and Beaker came for a visit.  Beaker is my drunken alter ego, when he visits, it means my voice goes up a couple of octaves, and those that know me are well aware that narcolepsy sets in quickly and I pass out wherever is most convenient.  I won the 50/50 raffle at the fundraiser, and donated all but $40 back, but then felt guilty for keeping 40 as money to buy everyone drinks with, and threw that in the tip bucket for donation.  We had Wilford Brimley stick masks to play with courtesy of Stacey.  Brimley was a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association, or as he would say and so did we in our drunken rants "Diabeeeetuuuus".

The day before the Tour de Cure, I went to Towpath Bike Shop and purchased a helmet which was mandatory, riding gloves (which I ended up returning) and a bike riding skort with padded booty.  I looked legit.

The Tour de Cure took place Sunday, June 10th.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day for bike riding. Our team got on the road around 8:30 and away we went.  The hills were awful, that's something I supposed I should have trained for...  I took advantage of rest stops to hydrate and eat.  Kristen and I planned to ride 40 miles, but if that felt too hard we would drop down to 20 miles.  At our first rest stop we decided we were going big, and going to show this 40 mile bike ride who is boss.

Hardcore bikers that train and ride daily were passing us and cheering us on, saying how brave we are to ride 40 miles on a mountain bike.  I had no idea what this meant at first, but then looking at almost EVERYONE else with a road bike and skinny tires peddling with ease, I knew that Kristen and I were in for a major workout.  

The ride took us about 4.5 hours, which included resting, water stops, and killer hills.  I am lucky I got to complete this with my very best friend.  We encouraged each other to keep going, stopped and rested together when we needed to, and shouted profanity when times got tough.  I am so proud of her for doing the 40 mile ride by my side.

We had envisioned a big celebration on a patio with cocktails and appetizers after the ride, but we were beat.  We mixed up some cucumber coolers at her house, which was organic cucumber vodka, club soda, fresh lime, cucumber and mint muddled with a cucumber garnish, something we just whipped up.  Janel came over to celebrate our team victory.  Brian cooked us an awesome dinner of grilled veggies to put on our salads.  

All in all, it was a successful first Tour de Cure, which I plan to partake in next year, and this time rent a road bike for $50 at Towpath, which I found out you can do from another rider as we were just approaching the finish line.  She said she gave us a ton of credit for riding 40 miles on mountain bikes, and asked why we didn’t rent road bikes.  I said "No one told me that was an option"; she replied "Well I'm telling you now".  I pretty much crossed the finish line shouting "Well NOW ya tell me!"

Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment