Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Meat is Murder, Tasty Tasty Murder" - Bolognese 101





To answer your first question "What is Bolognese Sauce?"

Definition from Wikipedia: Bolognese sauce is a meat-based sauce for pasta originating in Bologna, Italy. It is traditionally used to dress tagliatelle and is one of the two sauces used to prepare "lasagne alla Bolognese".

My definition of Bolognese sauce: One word. Tasty.

My Aunt Jill has been making her Bolognese sauce for years to serve with lasagna, which we have every Christmas Eve. In fact, I just learned recently that not everyone eats lasagna at Christmas time; I thought it was a staple holiday entree like turkey on Thanksgiving. Apparently other people eat ham. No thanks. This being my first carnivorous Christmas in 5 years I had decided I would not only try the Bolognese sauce, I'd make it.

My cousin Kacey and I joined my Aunt Jill the day before Christmas Eve at the cottage to make the sauce. We chopped carrots, celery and onions (I did a hell of a job on chopping those onions I might add), we sautéed the veggies in a large pot, then added ground beef and veal and cooked until it was no longer pink. I literally was taking gobs of beef with my bare hands and pulling them apart, a huge step for me! We then added white wine which burned off while we mixed it, then added milk and another secret ingredient that shall remain nameless. Last we added crushed tomatoes and mixed mixed mixed! We made enough sauce to feed an army of Belascos and friends on Christmas Eve. We celebrated our sauce being complete and ready to simmer for hours with a glass of wine, or course.

Sadly, get your tissues ready, I was not feeling well on Christmas Eve so I did not have more than one bite of lasagna. I know, tragic. I did take home some sauce that I plan to eat over spaghetti. And I sure as hell will be making the recipe again in the future!

I've come a long way baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment